At the Segal Cancer Centre patient care is provided by interdisciplinary teams, ie. teams comprised of health care professionals in different fields who work together and combine their expertise to give efficient and optimal medical, psychosocial and supportive care to the patients.
There are nine interdisciplinary teams based on the location of the tumour:
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer (colon and rectal cancers and other gastrointestinal cancers)
- Hematology-oncology (blood-based cancers such as leukemias, lymphomas and myelomas)
- Pulmonary oncology (lung cancer)
- Head and neck oncology (including cancers of the throat, vocal cords, oral cavity, salivary glands and thyroid)
- Neuro-oncology (tumours of the brain and spine)
- Gynecologic oncology (including cancers of the vulva, vagina, cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and pelvis as well as primary peritoneal carcinomas)
- Urologic oncology (including prostate, testicular, penile, bladder and kidney cancers)
- Dermatologic oncology (skin cancers)
These teams are comprised of a wide range of health care professionals including physicians (medical, surgical and radiation oncologists as well as other specialized physicians and surgeons as required), nurses, dietitians, physiotherapists, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers and other health care specialists as required. In addition, trained volunteers provided by Hope & Cope are on hand to help guide and support the patients.
Each team is guided by a strong physician (Medical Director)-nurse (Clinical Administrator) partnership while a designated Nurse Navigator is responsible for coordinating the patient’s care and providing information and education to patients and their families.
There are also eight interdisciplinary programs and services which provide care to patients across the cancer spectrum:
- Radiation oncology
- Palliative care
- Segal Cancer Centre-Bell Canada Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Program
- Oncology and aging
- Stroll Family Cancer Prevention Centre (cancer prevention/cancer genetics)
- McGill Cancer Nutrition-Rehabilitation Program
- Louise Granofsky Psychosocial Oncology Program
- Hope & Cope