You go to the pharmacy to fill your prescription for medication (Rx) so why don't you come to us to fill a prescription for information about your health (InfoRx)?
At the Patient & Family Resource Centre (PFRC), we are here to help you and your family find accurate and up-to-date health information on diseases, treatments, medications, clinical trials, self-help groups and more. A librarian will do the search with you, guide you to the best resources to meet your specific needs, and print out the information for you to take home.
We also work closely with Hope & Cope and various departments in the hospital to help patients and their families stay informed about specific illnesses and treatment decisions. Your doctor or nurse may refer you to us for information.
The information found on this site or provided to you by a librarian should not be considered as medical advice. It is not to be used in place of a visit with a doctor, nurse or other healthcare professional. If you have questions about your individual medical situation, please consult with your healthcare professional. See also the JGH Disclaimer.
Here are some examples of the kinds of questions that we can help you with:
● My doctor just ordered blood tests for me and I would like to know more about what I am being tested for.
● A news article I just read in the Gazette mentioned research published in the New England Journal of Medicine. I would like to read the full study.
● I have been diagnosed with cancer and would like to know more about treatment options, drug information, chemotherapy, clinical trials etc...
● My father only speaks Greek. Can I have some information about diabetes for him in Greek?
● Can I have some information about alternative and complementary medicine?
● PEN Collection Database (from any computer): Search the PEN Collection, a database created to help you and your health professional find and access reliable, up-to-date consumer health information using one easy-to-search resource. Search for handouts, booklets, books, websites, videos and more.
● PFRC website (from any computer): Visit our web site to browse web sites on different health topics, find out more about our resources and submit an InfoRx request.
● Book collection (only at the library): You may borrow books that are written for the lay person from the PFRC book collection. You may also read and make photocopies from the medical books and journals in the library's general collection.
● Computer workstations (only at the library): Computer workstations are available for you and your family. Use them to search for health information online and to access e-journal articles (see below).
● Medical literature (with help from a librarian): We can help you search for and access medical research articles.
The PEN Database is made possible by the generous financial support of:
- JGH User's Committee
- JGH Health Sciences Library
- Hope & Cope, and
- JGH Nursing Department.
The information that you provide to the JGH librarians, in person, by phone, by e-mail or by filling out the InfoRx form is considered confidential and will only be used by the JGH librarians in order to answer your questions. It will not be shared with any third party, including your health care professionals, or used for any other purpose except with your permission, or at your request. The information that you provide is kept for as long as needed to fill your request and then it is safely discarded. We retain only information about the general type of question you have asked so that we can better understand the needs of our users and add contents to the PEN database and the PFRC web site. This information is not connected with your name.
We collect information about visits to the PFRC web site and searches in the PEN database. This information is not connected with your name. We collect statistics about your visit in order improve the PFRC web site and the PEN database, and to make sure we provide information on the topics that interest you. We look at the keywords used and add material to the PFRC web site and PEN database on a regular basis based on the recent searches.
The PFRC web site and the PEN database DO NOT:
- display any advertising
- sell or promote any commercial products
- receive any money from advertisers.
We do not provide links to external sources unless these sources comply with our Collection Policy.
When you click on one of our links to an external resource, our advertising policy no longer applies and there may be advertising displayed.
Although the PFRC web site and PEN database are part of the larger JGH hospital website, this advertising policy applies only to the PFRC web site and PEN database.
The content of the PFRC website, including this page, is created by JGH librarians. Links to external resources are selected by JGH librarians, but the content of those resources is not created by them. Verify each external link to find their authors.
The content of the database is created by many different authors, including JGH health professionals. You will find the author(s) of each item listed in your database search results.
Although the PFRC web site is part of the larger JGH hospital website, this information about content authors applies only to the PFRC web site and PEN database.
The PFRC web site and PEN database are developed and maintained by JGH librarians. If you have any questions or concerns about the content, or would like to report a technical problem or broken link, please contact the Patient and Family Resource Librarian at 514-340-8222 extension 22391 or by firstname.lastname@example.org.