NOTE: McGill affiliates are welcome to use our Interlibrary loan service, but can also use McGill University ILL.
What is Document Delivery/Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Document Delivery/Interlibrary Loan is a service that obtains journal articles and books that are not available at the JGH Libraries for JGH staff.
How do I submit a request?
- Before submitting a request, please check if your desired item is accessible through our subscriptions, is open access, or is part of our print or electronic book collection.
- You can submit your interlibrary loan requests electronically in two ways:
- Complete one of the following forms:
" Request a book ? ILL" if you are requesting a book or a book chapter.
" Request an article ? ILL" if you are requesting an article or conference presentation.
- While searching in one of the biomedical databases to which the JGH libraries subscribe, click on the link "Find it at JGH" near your desired item, if we do not pay for access to the full text, this link will take you to a partially pre-filled ILL form.
- Please fill in your request form as completely as possible to speed up the process.
How long does it take for me to receive my article or book?
- Journal Articles will be sent to your email anywhere from within the same working day to 7 workdays later.
Usually you can expect it to take a few hours to a few workdays.
- Books are available for pickup at the health sciences library 1 to 3 weeks after you place the request.
You will be notified of their arrival as per your instructions in the request form.
What happens when I submit an Interlibrary loan request?
- When a JGH staff member submits an interlibrary loan request, a JGH library staff member will attempt to obtain a loan or copy of the desired item from another library.
- If we can get the item for free this is a free service for JGH staff.
- If we cannot find a library who will lend us the item for free, often we can get the item from a library which will charge us a fee (always less than purchasing the item from the publisher). In this case we will be in touch with you to see if you would like the item for a fee.
- If you choose to pay the fee for an item we cannot find for free, you may pay the fee in cash at the library during opening hours upon receipt of the item, or you may give us an account number that we will bill at the end of the calendar year.
What are my responsibilities for book ILL's?
- You are responsible for books on loan until you return them to us.
- Please return books on time so as to keep our library in good standing with the lending library.
- If you want to renew the book, please contact the ILL office before the due date. However, our ability to renew your loan is depends on the lending library’s policy.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us:
Health Sciences Library,
Tel. (514) 340-8222 ext. 25931
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
ILL Symbol: QMJG (National Library of Canada); PQCSRT (Docline)
All requests are processed within 2 workdays.
May be borrowed for 2 weeks from receipt and renewed for 1 week only
We will send photocopy of articles. Issues or bound volumes are for on-site use only.
Invoice is usually sent out within 1 workday after the request is filled.
MMAHLA - No Charge
ABSAUM - $5.00
Other Libraries - $13.00 (For US libraries, the currency is in USD.)
Extra $5.00 for RUSH request
Contact us by email at email@example.com
or by phone: (514) 340-8222 extension 25931