About the JGH Patient & Family Resource Centre
You go to the drug store for your medication prescriptions (Rx), so why not come to us to fill your information needs (InfoRx)?
Information Prescription Service (InfoRx)
At the Patient & Family Resource Centre (PFRC), we are here to help you and your family find accurate and up-to-date health information on diseases, treatments, medications, clinical trials, self-help groups and more. A librarian will do the search with you, guide you to the best resources to meet your specific needs, and print out the information you need to take home.
We also work closely with Hope & Cope and various departments in the hospital to help patients and families keep informed about specific illnesses and treatment decisions. Your doctor or nurse may refer you to us for information.
The information found on this site or provided to you by a librarian should not be considered as medical advice. It is not to be used in place of a visit with a doctor, nurse or other healthcare professional. If you have questions about your individual medical situation, please consult with your healthcare professional. Also see JGH Disclaimer.
How can we help you?
Here are some examples of the types of questions we can help you with:
- My doctor just ordered blood tests for me and I would like to know more about what I am being tested for.
- A news article I just read in the Gazette mentioned research published in the New England Journal of Medicine. I would like to read the full study.
- I have been diagnosed with cancer and would like to know more about treatment options, drug information, chemotherapy, clinical trials etc...
- My father only speaks Greek. Can I have some information about diabetes for him in Greek?
- Can I have some information about alternative and complementary medicine?
What resources can you have access to?
- PEN Collection Database (from anywhere): Search the PEN Collection, a database created to help you and your health professional find and access reliable, up-to-date consumer health information using one easy-to-search resource. Search for handouts, booklets, books, websites, videos and more.
- PFRC website (from anywhere). Visit our web site to browse web sites on different health topics, find out more about our resources and submit an InfoRx request.
- Book collection. You may borrow books that are written for the lay person from the PFRC book collection. You may also read and make photocopies from the medical books and journals in the library's general collection.
- Computer workstations (on site). Computer workstations are available for you and your family. Use them to search for health information online and to access e-journal articles (see below).
- Online resources from McGill (on site). For a charge of $5 per article we can order research articles for you that are available only by subscription through McGill University.
The PEN Database is made possible by the generous financial support of the JGH User's Committee, the JGH Health Sciences Library, Hope & Cope, and the JGH Nursing Department.
The information you provide to the JGH librarians, in person, by phone, by e-mail or by filling out the infoRx form is considered confidential and will only be used by the JGH librarians in order to provide a service to you. It will not be shared with any third party, including your health care professionals, or used for any other purpose except with your permission, or at your request. The information you provide is kept for as long as needed to fill your request and then it is safely discarded. We retain only information about the general type of question you have asked so that we can better understand the needs of our users and add contents to the PEN database and the PFRC web site. This information is not connected with your name.
Other information we collect is about your visit to the PFRC web site and your searches in the PEN database. This information is not connected with your name. We collect statistics about your visit in order improve the PFRC web site and the PEN database, and to make sure we provide information on the topics that interest you. We look at the keywords you used and add material to the PFRC web site and PEN database on a weekly basis based on what you searched. We also collect other information such as your IP address, the type of browser you used, where you linked to our web site from, the date and time, and your geographical location.
For more information about online privacy click here.
The PFRC web site and the PEN database do not display any advertising. We do not sell or promote any commercial products. We do not receive any money from advertisers. We do not provide links to external sources unless these sources comply with our Collection Policy.
If you click on one of our links to external resources, our advertising policy no longer applies and there may be advertising displayed.
Although the PFRC web site and PEN database are part of the larger JGH hospital website, this advertising policy applies only to the PFRC web site and PEN database. Please contact JGH Public Affairs and Communications for information about the general JGH web site advertising policy.
The content of the PFRC website, including this page, is created by JGH librarians. Links to external resources are selected by JGH librarians, but the content of those resources is not created by them. Check each site to see who the authors are.
The content of the database is created by many different authors, including JGH health professionals. You will find the author(s) of each item listed in your database search results.
Although the PFRC web site is part of the larger JGH hospital website, this information about content authors applies only to the PFRC web site and PEN database. Please contact JGH Public Affairs and Communications for information about content authors for the general JGH web site.
The PFRC web site and PEN database are developed and maintained by JGH librarians. If you have any questions or concerns about the content, or would like to report a technical problem or broken link, please contact:
Julia Kleinberg x22391
Jacynthe Touchette x22453
Page created September 23 2014, updated on February 2, 2017