To sign up for individual instruction, or to request a workshop tailored to the needs of your department, please fill out the registration form and a librarian will contact you.
For help with online registration contact your librarians.
Databases - literature searching
Various biomedical databases: including CINAHL, Medline (via PubMed & Ovid), EMBASE, PsycINFO, Google Scholar. Introduction to the database, searching the database, managing search results & more. Please feel free to ask for instruction on searching a database not listed here.
Managing citations using EndNote or Zotero
- Endnote for users who have access (for example through McGill)
Evidence-Based Medicine - answering clinical questions
- Introduction to evidence-based medicine
- Answering clinical questions.
- Formulating your question using PICO.
- Searching the EBM resources.
- Answering research questions
- Formulating your question.
- Lit search (MeSH terms, Boolean operators, search strategy etc.)
Use Web 2.0 tools like RSS to keep up to date:
- Introduction to RSS technology: what is it & how can it help keep you up to date.
- Find RSS and subscribe to RSS feeds
o Search alerts
o TOC alerts
- Feed aggregators (use these to manage your RSS subscriptions):
- Create a RSS feed
- Introduction to Open Access.
- Finding information to share with patients
- Creating effective patient education materials
Instruction about basic computer skills, such as Office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, etc.) is not offered by the library. We invite you to take a look at your local library since different public libraries offer such services. You can also look at these service providers:
You can also take a look at the numerous online tutorials available for free online. The offer online is wide, do not hesitate to search for specific versions of software or tasks you need to perform.
- List of 15 tutorials about the basics of Excel on YouTube
- List of advanced 15 tutorials about Excel on YouTube
- List of 13 tutorials about the basics of Word 2007 on YouTube
- List of 18 tutorials about Word 2010 (various levels) on YouTube
- List of 13 tutorials about the basics of Access 2010 on YouTube
- List of 55 tutorials about Powerpoint (various levels and versions) on YouTube