Important: JGH Libraries policies and procedures will apply when different from those of McGill.
Who can borrow at JGH LIBRARIES?
- JGH Staff
- McGill Residents on rotation at the JGH
- Students on rotation at the JGH
- Associates with a valid JGH Hospital ID
In order to borrow material, all users must be registered with the Health Sciences Library (HSL) or the Dr. Henry Kravitz PsychiatryLibrary (ICFP).
Registration & library card
To get a library card you must fill out the JGH Libraries Registration Form available here or at the loan desk, and show a valid JGH ID.
Note that JGH Library cards are NOT valid for borrowing at McGill University Libraries.
How to borrow
Library material can be signed out at the loan desk during staffed hours:
- Monday to Thursday 8:30 - 5:00
- Friday 8:30 - 4:30
- Monday to Thursday 8:30 - 4:30
- Friday 8:30 - 4:00
Loan periods vary according to the type of material, the collection and your borrower status.
Number of renewals
|Books||28 calendar days||one (unless recalled)|
|Reference Books (HSL only)||overnight, or weekend if borrowed on Friday||one (unless recalled)|
|Journals||7 calendar days||three (unless recalled)|
|Couple and Family Therapy* Reserve Books (for supervisors)||28 calendar days||one (unless recalled)|
|Couple and Family Therapy* Reserve Books (for students)||14 calendar days||one (unless recalled)|
|Audiovisual (AV)||14 calendar days||varying|
* available to Department of Psychiatry only
- Maximum number of loaned items: 10
- Maximum number of hold requests: 2
Returning Library items
Return items to the issuing library by the due date. Late returns will result in fines.
Please do not return HSL items to ICFP or vice versa. To avoid fines, please remember to renew your library books.
- A daily fee of $0.50 will be applied automatically for late returns.
- Fines must be paid in person. Cash only.
- You will be billed for the replacement cost and processing of items that are not returned 40 days after the due date.
- If a damaged item can be repaired, the borrower will be charged the cost of the repair. If the item cannot be repaired, the borrower must pay to replace the item.
E-mail notices sent by the library
All notices related to your library account will be sent automatically to your e-mail address. To change your email address sign in to your online library account (see below).
You may receive notices for the following reasons:
- Reminder to renew
- Notice that items are due
- When an item you have placed on hold is ready for you to pick up
- When an item you currently have has been put on hold and should be returned
Please note: if for any reason you do not receive a notice from the library you must still renew your loans or return your items on time.
Online access to your library account
The new system allows you to log in to your library account on the McGill website using the barcode on your library card and your PIN number (see below).
Through your library account, you can:
- See which items you have out and when they are due
- Renew library materials
- Place and monitor holds
- Recall items currently on loan to other users
- View outstanding overdue fines
- Update your contact information
- Change your PIN and security question.
Library PIN number
The loan desk issues the initial PIN number accompanying each library card. You can change the PIN number when signed into your library account.
In case you forget your PIN, you can set up a Sign-In Bypass Feature which will allow you to reset your PIN by answering a security question chosen by you.
Each time you use the bypass feature, you will be required to change your PIN. If you do not use this feature, and forget your PIN, you will need to come in person to the loans desk with your valid ID. We cannot reset a PIN over the phone or via e-mail.