History
2000
1990
1980
1970
1960
1950
1940
1930
1920
1910
JGH Legacy
75th Anniversary
Jewish Montreal Heritage Week
History

 
JGH History: 1990s
 
1990
  • Launch of three new pavilions that house outpatient departments and services: the Cummings Family Pavilion, the Peter and Edward Bronfman Pavilion, and the Shirley and Leo Goldfarb Centre for Radiation Oncology.
  • Opening of the McGill AIDS Centre, based at the JGH.
1991
  • The Memory Clinic, for early diagnosis of memory disorders and research into Alzheimer's disease, is established in the Division of Geriatric Medicine.
1992
  • The Hospital's Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research expands.
  • The Movement Disorders Clinic opens in the Division of Neurology.
  • The JGH opens its Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Community Studies.
1993
  • The McGill Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology Program is established, based at the JGH.
  • An Experimental Pharmacology Program for cancer treatments includes the creation of a Clinical Research Unit, the first of its kind in Quebec.
  • The Perzow Molecular Biology Laboratory opens.
  • Inauguration of the JGH Annual Golf Classic.
1994
  • Teamwork by all levels of staff, administration and the Board helps ease overcrowding in the Emergency Room.
  • In the Department of Neonatology and Pediatrics, the 1993-94 perinatal mortality rate of babies weighing at least 500 grams plunges to 2.1 per thousand births, compared to the provincial average of 9.4.
  • The Developmental Pharmacology and Perinatal Research Program opens at the Lady Davis Institute.
1995
  • The hospital establishes a partnership with the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Ibn Sina in Rabat, Morocco.
  • The JGH twins with Bikur Cholim Hospital in Riga, Latvia.
  • The hospital's Cell Genetics Laboratory is entrusted with custody of the International Androgen Receptor Gene Mutation Database, which provides the international scientific community with the most current information on these mutations.
1996
  • At the JGH, miracle baby Melody English makes medical history by growing and surviving inside her mother's abdomen.
  • The Surgery department is renamed the Ellen and Martin Prosserman Surgical Centre.
1997
  • A fully modernized and renovated Emergency Department is unveiled and named in honour of Bernice and Morton Brownstein.
  • The JGH becomes the only Quebec hospital to offer endoscopic saphenous vein harvesting, a new cardiac technique.
  • The JGH Mother and Child Care Centre opens.
  • The McGill Centre for Translational Research in Cancer, the first of its kind in Canada and one of very few in North America, is established at the JGH. Its goal is to reduce the time between the acquisition of knowledge from laboratory research and the application of that knowledge to patient treatment.
1998
  • The JGH launches a $50 million fundraising campaign, the largest in the hospital's history.
  • During the ice storm crisis, the hospital provides shelter to more than 250 people.
  • The JGH is accredited by the Canadian Council on Health Accreditation and is congratulated for its commitment to quality care and service.
  • The Marlene and Joel King Breast Referral and Investigation Centre is opened, providing highly specialized expertise in the diagnosis and analysis of mammograms.
  • The Thrombosis Clinic is opened, offering an integrated, multidisciplinary approach to the investigation, management and prevention of thromboembolic diseases.
  • After evaluation, the Lady Davis Institute is judged among the highest of any research institute in Quebec and is granted approval for its programs over the next four years.
1999
  • JGH Hope & Cope launches its Look Good Feel Better program, with workshops on makeup, skincare and alternative hair styles for cancer patients suffering the side-effects of chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy.
  • Opening of a specially designated and equipped Minimally Invasive Surgery Room, the first in Quebec.
  • The hospital opens the Marcel and Annie Adams Magnetic Resonance Imaging Unit (MRI).
  • With the Auxiliary's help, an innovative program is launched to provide special training for volunteers who offer assistance and comfort to patients and their families in the Emergency Department.