History
2000
1990
1980
1970
1960
1950
1940
1930
1920
1910
JGH Legacy
75th Anniversary
Jewish Montreal Heritage Week
History

JGH History: 1970s

1971
  • The hospital begins to participate in the CEGEP system to train nurses, lab technicians, medical record technicians and radiology technicians.
1972
  • The JGH School of Nursing closes after 21 years of service, as all training programs for nurses are brought under centralized, provincial jurisdiction.
  • Bill 65 restructures the healthcare system and results in creation of the JGH Centre Board to encourage wider community participation in hospital administration. 
1973
  • The Herzl Health Clinic combines with the JGH to become the Herzl Family Practice Centre.
  • The JGH is invited to join the Montreal Joint Hospital Institute, a network of McGill University teaching hospitals.
  • On the prompting of the Women's Auxiliary – and, initially, largely at the Auxiliary's expense – the JGH becomes the first hospital in Canada to appoint a patient relations representative (ombudsman).
1974
  • The JGH becomes one of the first hospitals in Canada to open a Division of Colorectal Surgery.
1975
  • Contracts are signed to formalize the JGH connection to McGill University, Jewish Family Services and the Social Service Centre.
  • A new Intensive Care Unit opens. 
1976
  • The Pollack Neonatal Intensive Care Unit opens.
  • A new medical library is established.
1977
  • A short-stay unit with 27 beds opens for surgical patients hospitalized 24 to 72 hours.
1978
  • In recognition of an unusually generous bequest, the JGH officially changes its name to The Sir Mortimer B. Davis - Jewish General Hospital.
  • A long-term unit with 36 beds is opened to consolidate some hospital services for elderly patients.
  • The obstetrical area is renovated to provide intensive-care facilities for high-risk mothers.
  • The Birth Room opens as a joint project of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and the Department of Family Medicine.
1979
  • The JGH is designated as a fully affiliated McGill University teaching hospital.
  • With funds provided by the Medical Research Foundation, a computerized axial tomography (CT) scanner is installed.
  • The Women's Auxiliary officially changes its name to the Auxiliary and welcomes its first male member.