History
2000
1990
1980
1970
1960
1950
1940
1930
1920
1910
JGH Legacy
75th Anniversary
Jewish Montreal Heritage Week
History

JGH History: 1950s
 
1951
  • The JGH School of Nursing opens and remains in operation until 1972. The Women's Auxiliary helps trainees in furnishing the student residence and by contributing to the building fund.
1950
  • A radio-isotope laboratory is established.
1952
  • The Women's Auxiliary becomes a founding member of the Quebec Association of Hospital Auxiliaries.
1953
  • A Medical Director is appointed.
  • The new west wing is constructed.
1955
  • The Volunteer Services Department is opened to recruit volunteers for the hospital. This department is largely based on the pioneering efforts of the Women's Auxiliary in the 1940s.
  • A special research fund is established.
1956
  • The Department of Electroencephalography and the Endocrine Clinic, Renal Lithiasis Unit, Diabetic Day Centre, Psychiatry Day Centre and Geriatric Clinic are established.
  • The Cobalt teletherapy unit goes into use.
1957
  • Seventh and eighth floors are added to the west wing.
  • A diagnostic centre and low-vision eye clinic are established.
  • Cardiac, pulmonary and renal laboratories go into operation.
  • The seventh and eighth floors are added to the west wing.
  • The cardiac, pulmonary and renal laboratories go into operation.
  • The diagnostic centre and low-vision eye clinic are established.