History
2000
1990
1980
1970
1960
1950
1940
1930
1920
1910
JGH Legacy
75th Anniversary
Jewish Montreal Heritage Week
History

JGH History: 1930s
 
1930
  • In February, a tract of land is purchased for construction of the JGH.
1931
  • Ground is officially broken on Aug. 3 by Canada's Governor General, Lord Bessborough.
  • Construction begins on a parcel of farmland at Cote Ste-Catherine Rd. and Cote-des-Neiges. Undeveloped portions of the property are used for growing vegetables that are prepared and served by the hospital's kitchen throughout the Depression of the 1930s.
1933
  • The Jewish General Hospital is formally incorporated in March as a healthcare institution. 
1934
  • On October 8, the Jewish General Hospital has its gala inauguration, with the Governor General of Canada and the Mayor of Montreal in attendance. The JGH dedicates itself to extending medical treatment and care to all patients, regardless of their background, from across Montreal and throughout Quebec.
  • The first patient is admitted on October 15. By this point, the hospital's doctors have organized Departments of Medicine, Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Otolaryngology, Ophthalmology and Radiology. They are soon joined by a neuro-psychiatrist, a Director of Laboratories, an anesthetist, 14 nurses and nine interns and residents.
1936
  • The Women's Auxiliary (today known simply as The Auxiliary) is founded, with an initial membership of 1,850.
  • The Departments of Social Service and Physiotherapy are opened.
1936-39 
  • Numerous volunteer committees are established by the Women's Auxiliary to provide such essential services as purchasing linen supplies, making surgical dressings and providing free layettes to new mothers. The Life Saving Fund Committee, the Auxiliary's backbone until the 1970s, ensures that all patients, regardless of their ability to pay, receive medical necessities such as blood transfusions, drugs and emergency taxi service.
1937
  • The first research laboratory is established.
  • The first formal post-graduate course is given in electrocardiography and cardiology.
1939
  • McGill University includes the JGH among the five Montreal hospitals where McGill graduates may obtain the required year of internship.